How much help does one need at home post open heart surgery?

How much help does one need at home post open heart surgery?

Somewhat depends on your condition. You do NOT want to be alone at any point (for more than a few minutes) for several days. It is painful to get up and down, and bathroom visits are not something you can handle alone. You will need someone around. For one thing, you’ll be pretty medicated and not really up to taking care of yourself.

I was sent home 4 days after the surgery, and I didn't need too much help. But my sister was here and she made meals which helped a lot and was here just in case I needed assistance (dropped the tv remote once and couldn't reach down enough to pick it up) she also helped me get the circulation socks on (they are rather tight) each morning.

I relied a lot on the heart pillow and sleeping in a recliner. I am at the 6-week after mark today, and feeling pretty good :)

Thank you for your post! I guess it is hard to say for each person, but most helpful to take in first hand experience. So not looking forward to needing a babysitter ;). Will you give me an idea for pain management how long before you stepped down to lesser type of pain meds?

Thank you for your post! Nice to hear you had such a quick out at 4 days. Sincerely hope I can get out that soon! Love the comment about the tv remote and read they suggest help with the socks ;). I haven’t read or heard about the heart pillow, what is that? Congrats on 6 weeks, now you can drive again! Freedom!! Have you gone back to work?

Sasse1Susan said:
Thank you for your post! I guess it is hard to say for each person, but most helpful to take in first hand experience. So not looking forward to needing a babysitter ;). Will you give me an idea for pain management how long before you stepped down to lesser type of pain meds?

I actually started transitioning off the Percocet before I even came home, and was on ibuprofen and acetaminophen most of the time after coming home, largely because Percocet makes me very sick to my stomach. Had to have SOME, but not all the time. The Fentanyl patch stayed on for about a week, and it causes some nausea, too.

Yeah, I slept a few nights in the recliner, too, and you’ll definitely need help with those socks. Absolutely NO way to do it yourself, IMO.

I came home after 5 days in the hospital from open-heart surgery and the only pain reliever I was on was 800mg of Ibuprofen every 4 hours. I was not allowed to drive or lift anything heavier than 5-10 lbs for 6 weeks. That included opening heavy doors. The amazing thing is that your body will let you know if you’re doing too much. I had someone with me at all times, but I was still pretty self-sufficient. A stuffed animal or pillow is a must - especially if you have to cough - you just feel more secure holding it against your chest. Let me know if you have any questions - I’m happy to help!

Thank you so much…I am sure they are going to give me the whole run down, but it helps to hear it from those who have actually been through it. I am just not used to having to depend on others, unless of course it is my choice to not take out trash, make coffee or fold laundry! :wink:

Wow, that is great Julie! I tend to not tolerate the narcotics well and my surgeon did tell me he likes to use something that is like advil but much stronger. Just said he can’t use it right after as it can cause bleeding. I agree that it will be a lot of listen to my body, I am not real patient with things so I will probably need a babysitter just to keep me from doing more than I should :wink: Did you have to weigh yourself each morning for awhile and take your temp? I have read that online too. Seems like a lot of monitoring, but certainly with good reason. Thank you for the input!

Good questions! I had my open-heart surgery almost 15 years ago, so I can’t remember if I had to weigh myself or take my temp afterwards. I don’t think I had to do that, though! And really the only follow-up I had after surgery was to have the stitches removed from where the drainage tubes were - and that wasnt bad at all! The stitches for the big incision were dissolvable.

I understand how difficult it is to have patience! Honestly, the first couple of weeks after surgery you will be so protective of your chest that I bet patience will come easily. Now, the tail end of those 6 weeks is more difficult, especially not lifting things more than 5-10 lbs! But like I said, your body will warn you - especially your healing breastbone.