How are you now?

Hi Everyone,

I hope you had a great summer. We have lots of new members here who are worried and scared. We can all remember those days! How about taking a minute and letting everyone know how you're doing? I'm sure your old friends and our new members would love to know how you are, and maybe even hear some positive ASD stories.

Take care,

Moderator Linda

Hi Everyone!!!

My daughter was diagnosed with ASD in November when she turned 6 years old. We went to CHOP where they told us she would require open heart surgery to repair. I was a mess!!! I turned to this support group for help and everyone was so wonderful. She had open heart surgery to repair16mm ASD and was in ICU for 48 hours but released after 60 hours!!!!! She is doing wonderful and has been better than ever. She has a large scar and children even teased her this summer but we have tried to teach her to embrace it bc she is a true warrior! I was terrified but she did great and I am so thankful that we caught it and repaired it. I wish everyone the best of luck!!!

Your daughter indeed is a great warrior!! :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,

I wanted to update on myself. I had closure of my ASD/PFO last December. I had it through a per cutaneous approach with a catheter. It went very well. Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension as well and am battling it. But I am very happy I had the closure. My advice would be to double check insurance before hand. I had a weird scenario where I did not have time for pre approval but the surgeon guaranteed coverage. I am still going through insurance coverage issues as they claim catheter approaches are experimental and they only cover open heart surgery. Hopefully, they will realize how ridiculous that is in the end. Good luck everyone in all you go through. This site is a wonderful source of hope, advice, and encouragement.

Hi everyone,
I had my asd closure back in November 2014 through cardiac cath. I, too had Pulmonary Hypertension but the numbers are back to normal now thanks be to God. I feel much better and am no longer on Plavix. At times I tend to worry due to the horror stories I’ve read about the amplatzar device that is covering my asd but so far so good. I am here and am more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Hi guys, I had my ASD closed last year in October. Right after I had problems with dizziness and flutters. My heart rate was over a 100. I was monitored for 28 days but everything came back fine. My heart rate has dropped to normal. I guess it needed time to get use to the closure. No problems just weight gain. I am wondering has anyone else gained weight after the closure. I gained 10 pounds so far.

I gain 2kg after ASD closure at age 28. How bout you?

Hi, several have posted about weight gain. Not the best response post repair but I’ll take weight over a failing heart! Take care, Linda

Good luck to her!

!

AnxiousMOM said:

Hi Everyone!!!

My daughter was diagnosed with ASD in November when she turned 6 years old. We went to CHOP where they told us she would require open heart surgery to repair. I was a mess!!! I turned to this support group for help and everyone was so wonderful. She had open heart surgery to repair16mm ASD and was in ICU for 48 hours but released after 60 hours!!! She is doing wonderful and has been better than ever. She has a large scar and children even teased her this summer but we have tried to teach her to embrace it bc she is a true warrior! I was terrified but she did great and I am so thankful that we caught it and repaired it. I wish everyone the best of luck!!!

Update The doctors sure take their time, my insurance rejected the Mayo Clinic so I am working on Cleveland Clinic, the Doctor is Joseph Sabik it appears as he is really good but still waiting on his call for an appointment or schedule. The ned medication helps with the symptoms so not much else to tell. Hope everyone else is doing well

I hope it works out with Cleveland. Mayo is where mine was done and subsequently having insurance issues (even though they assured me it was covered.) The waiting periods with any medical condition are so tough! Good luck.