Vertigo and ASD?

Hi everyone,

I have my first meeting with a Genetic Cardiologist on March 26th to find out if I need my ASD repaired.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has suffered from attacks of vertigo prior to having their ASD closed? I have had 5 attacks (severe, lasting 1-2 days each, bedridden) over the past 7 years and doctors have not been able to identify what causes it.

Any comments would be appreciated! :)

-Sam

Hi Sam,

I found out about 2 weeks ago that I have an ASD and I don't know how big mine is yet because I don't have my TEE for another few weeks. Anyway, throughout my life I have had severe episodes of vertigo that were never really explainable.. a few happened when I had a cold so they figured it was that, but the vertigo was so severe that I bedridden too, and they said it wouldn't be that strong just from a cold so who knows, really. I am lightheaded and dizzy every day to some degree, and haven't had a really bad vertigo bit for about 2 years now. I wonder now, after finding out about my ASD, if that is truly the reason behind it.

Good luck with finding out what it is! My grandma also had it from an inner ear fluid deficiency, I don't know much more about it than that but maybe that's worth looking into as well? Anyway, I hope you find out!

Gabbi

dimplesg520 said:

Hi Sam,

I found out about 2 weeks ago that I have an ASD and I don't know how big mine is yet because I don't have my TEE for another few weeks. Anyway, throughout my life I have had severe episodes of vertigo that were never really explainable.. a few happened when I had a cold so they figured it was that, but the vertigo was so severe that I bedridden too, and they said it wouldn't be that strong just from a cold so who knows, really. I am lightheaded and dizzy every day to some degree, and haven't had a really bad vertigo bit for about 2 years now. I wonder now, after finding out about my ASD, if that is truly the reason behind it.

Good luck with finding out what it is! My grandma also had it from an inner ear fluid deficiency, I don't know much more about it than that but maybe that's worth looking into as well? Anyway, I hope you find out!

Gabbi

hi everybody i have a rather large asd in need of open heart surgery ,i to suffer from vertigo not very often but , i know

i cannot go any where when it happens they i feel really sick with it i was just diagnoise last year but had 2 procdures to try and close it i do not know what is worst when i get the vertigo or the shortness of breathe due to my asd i will have to mention this to my surgeon when i see him,i am hopefull for surgery soon luv phillipa x

I had several episodes of dizziness which alerted me to a problem, and then discovered an ASD. My history is complicated - I had an ASD closed as a child in the 1970s through open heart surgery, then in 2007 an echo showed that it had come back, and was then fixed again using Amplatzer device. My doctor had initially attributed my dizziness to the menopause or an inner ear problem, but I guess it may have been the ASD. I have not had any subsequently (7 years on) and I am fitter than I have ever been, running 2-3 times a week.

good luck

Helen

Helen said:

I had several episodes of dizziness which alerted me to a problem, and then discovered an ASD. My history is complicated - I had an ASD closed as a child in the 1970s through open heart surgery, then in 2007 an echo showed that it had come back, and was then fixed again using Amplatzer device. My doctor had initially attributed my dizziness to the menopause or an inner ear problem, but I guess it may have been the ASD. I have not had any subsequently (7 years on) and I am fitter than I have ever been, running 2-3 times a week.

good luck

Helen

hi helen thank you for your reply i no it has nothing to do with the menopause as i am past that stage everything in my life has changed this time last year i could walk for miles with my 2 dogs now i am lucky if ican walk 50yards a day with out getting out of breath or dizzy.used to be a lifeguard up until 14 years ago . so you can see why i think the dizzness is coming from asd .because i used to be so fit and healthy ,and i have only one kidney but that did not hold me back used todo alot of sport cannot do any at the moment but hopeful for the op very soon see my cardiac surgeon on the 18th fingers crossed .

phillipa x