5 Years ago today!

At the ripe age of 60, I found out I had an ASD! It had never been detected up to that point. And it was 5 years ago today, that the ASD device was implanted. My cardiologist sent me to Dr. Robert Sommers at Columbia Presbyterian in New York and he performed the procedure. I was awake and able to see everything on the screen above me. Fascinating! So far, no complaints.

1 Like

Squarehead! what great news to hear. You survived to 60 with an ASD? Isn’t that something …

Please don’t disappear on us: there are lots of people here who panic on discovery and they could use a calming word from someone who survived to tell the tale!

Seenie

2 Likes

I am having my ASD closure next Friday. I never knew I had this either I am 50yrs old. Any advice is welcome!!

1 Like

Wow, another late discovery! Saying “congratulations” doesn’t seem quite right, but it’s a good thing that you found out, and a great thing that they can do something for you. Welcome to the community, Prdak, and best of luck to you on your journey to a long and healthy life.

Squarehead will have some words of wisdom for you, I’m sure. I believe he will be notified of these posts, but just in case, I’m going to tag him like this, @SQUAREHEAD. That will send him a notification that I was talking about him here.

I hope you hear from some of the many many members here who have had successful procedures, and who don’t come here so often any more because they are just too busy living life!

The very best to you

Seenie from ModSupport

1 Like

@SQUAREHEAD
It’s never too late when it comes to our health
To discover it in this age its a good sign.
i discovered mine when i was 28 year old with two normal delivery and i discover it by chance, i know your feeling and your fears it’s normal but don’t let them to control you our psychological health is very important in this period please dear surround your self with positive energy it wiil boost your health.
by god will everything will be fine​:pray::blue_heart:.
I will remember you on my prayers. :heart:

1 Like

Hi there, I have had a device fitted 26 years ago, procedures like these were still in trials then.
It was so quick and easy, no pain or long recovery. I live with it very well, never had any problems. Unfortunately I still need some more treatment now but that is only because my device was not today’s technology. Good luck.

3 Likes

Thanks!! Always great to hear positivity when going through the unknown. You are so kind to share with me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I had my ASD closed right after my 50th birthday. Great gift, right?? I had mine surgically repaired because it was so large. After closure (6 years ago) I have been great. My heart is all back within normal limits, and I have no exercise fatigue. I take no medications. The only complication I had was that the surgery uncovered Sick Sinus Rhythm, but that is pretty rare and may not be related to the ASD. Good luck to you! Keep exercising. It helps!

2 Likes

I had a PFO closures at 53 that I never new I had until I had a stroke but Iam :100: fine. It’s scary thought thinking a device is put into your heart but it will be a good decision to prevent a stroke or other issues. Simple procedure easy recovery. The only thing is I still get irregular heart beats but doesn’t bother me and Doctors don’t seem concerned. You will be fine don’t worry!

2 Likes

Thanks means so much to hear from you!

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! It means a lot to hear these things and will help me calm down:)
Thanks again for taking the time to write!!:slight_smile:

1 Like

You got this! I had my closure in May at the age of 25 for a 3cm ASD and the surgery went very smoothly! I was out of the hospital the next day and basically back to doing everything I was before by the next week (with the exception of weightlifting and running).

2 Likes

I had my ASD closure when I was 53 . It should be fine

2 Likes

Thanks!!! :blush: They are sending me home the same day if all goes well…

1 Like

Thanks!!

1 Like

Hi,

Good luck with the procedure! Mine went very well. I was awake through the whole thing and could watch it on the moniter right above me. It helped to take my mind off of it so to speak, it was like watching an operation on TV, not on me! The Dr. explained what was going on the whole time. He actually put one device in and decided it wasn’t big enough, took it out and inserted the next size. He gave me the first one as a souvenier. LOL. The biggest “problem” he ran into was he couldn’t find my vein in my right leg so had to switch to using the one in my left leg. I stayed over night for observation and then left around noon the next day.

I hope that helps. Again, good luck!

1 Like

Thanks!!! For the support and sharing the experience that you had as well:)
So good to have all the positive energy!!
Not sure about the awake part for me though lol … hope there is an option lol :slight_smile:
Thanks again All the Best to you!!

Prdak, I’m glad that we managed to find some people to “prop you up” as you approach your surgery. The people here are wonderful, don’t you think?

As for being awake, I believe they need you to be conscious when the do it. But I’m guessing that they will give you some really good happy drugs to relax you, especially if you ask for them. I haven’t had an ASD closure, but I have had other surgeries which involved being conscious. It’s not nearly at bad as it sounds!

All the best to you! We do have one thing that we ask: please come back and tell us how it all went.

Seenie from ModSupport

1 Like

Everyone has been great !! Thanks to everyone who has helped calm my nerves… I appreciate your kind words and your time!!
All the best to everyone and I’ll let ya know how it goes .
I will definitely ask for the happy drugs lol :joy::slight_smile:
You are all too kind and thanks for the support !!

1 Like

You are welcome! Please let us know how your procedure went.

1 Like