Adults with ASD. Any advice? Just diagnosed @ 37 and need repair

One year ago, after experiencing heart palpitations and extreme fatigue my primary care doctor ordered a round of tests, I saw a cardiologist, had an angiogram and was diagnosed with both an ASD and a PFO. After weighing the pros and cons of doing a repair versus the increased risk of developing pulmonary hypertension and risk of stroke if I waited to have the repair done, I decided to have the repair done. I am now almost to my year mark and am so glad I had it done.

Being 39 and finding out that I had had this CHD since birth was a shocker to say the least, as I am sure it was for each of you. But it is worth having the repair.

I had a couple different people tell me their success stories and I expected to feel the same way they did, they felt great just a couple of weeks after surgery. So I expected the same. Didn't happen. But I am feeling so much better now. After the repair my cardiologist kept me on Plavix and aspirin along with blood pressure medication. The blood pressure med was to keep me from having heart palpitations. I am now only taking 81 mg. of aspirin a day. My heart palpitations are virtually gone, ( I do have occasional 'flutters' but they're so faint that I hardly notice them.) My migraines have not been nearly as bothersome. After my closure I did have 3 or 4 but nothing since.

When I had the last echocardiogram all looked great. Both devices (they had to use two different ones to close both holes) were in place and healing great. The repair is so worth it.

Remember that not everyone is the same and the experience is different for each of us who has had the repair. It is so important to ask all of your questions and if you ever have any concerns about anything, from the repair to your recovery or any medications they may put you on, ask your doctors. There is no such thing as a dumb question. You will feel better if you ask.

I wish you both the best of luck and please keep us posted on how things go. It does get better. I feel better everyday.