Low heart rate

I am one day post closure and it seems like my heart rate is in the lower 50’s and sometimes 40s. Did anyone experience this?

My heart rate was very low post ASD closure. I had open heart surgery to close mine however. I am an athlete and my normal resting heart rate is 45 bpm, however post surgery my heart rate drop to mid 30s and they had to use the pacing wires that were temporarily attached after surgery to normalize my rate.
I think a low heart rate is ok but probably worth getting checked out if it goes much lower
Ellen

Well I am athletic but maybe not an athlete like you. I am thinking it is probably the anesthesia, cos I was sedated twice that day. Also I took a Bystolic the day before the procedure. My heart rate is a lot better now, it’s in the 60’s. Thx for replying, I was freaking out the first night after surgery.

Ellen C said:

My heart rate was very low post ASD closure. I had open heart surgery to close mine however. I am an athlete and my normal resting heart rate is 45 bpm, however post surgery my heart rate drop to mid 30s and they had to use the pacing wires that were temporarily attached after surgery to normalize my rate. I think a low heart rate is ok but probably worth getting checked out if it goes much lower
Ellen

Sounds like you are doing great! Congrats!

Ps I was also freaking out when my heart rate kept dropping and causing all the alarm bells to ring!

Hi Lmoisie,

I had my ASD closed with an amplatzer device on December 20th of last year, so going on to 7 weeks almost!! I also had very low heart beat, specially when sleeping, which is normal. My blood pressure was very low too, but my blood pressure usually runs low, as well as my heart rate. I'm not an athlete, but I like running, so I guess that has to do with it.

How are you doing a few days after your closure? Where did you have it done? did they use helix or amplatzer?

Just to tell you a bit about my experience, I felt myself again in like 4-5 weeks after. I know have the energy I used to have and feel like nothing happened. :) I had some palpitations afterwards too, and even wore a Holter monitor, but it was nothing to worry about. Thankfully I have had none in the past 3 weeks! :)

I wish you all the best and please keep me posted, I'd love to hear about your experience.

I had mine closed in August with the amplatzer device. I had low blood pressure following - probably because of the plavix. Eventually you will feel better - it just takes time and you do need to rest. Palpitations following the procedure are common from what I have heard. Hope you feel better soon - rest, relax and just gradually build up your stamina again.

Lyn

Lyn, thanks for sharing! I agree with you on the resting part. I remember I was told I could get back to my normal life in one week. I rested for 2 weeks straight and it took me almost a month to have my full energy again. So resting is important I believe :)

Does this mean you have your 6 month appointment coming up? I bet you are looking forward to stop taking Plavix. Have you bruised much?

I am curious to hear if your cardiologist recommends you take aspirin for life, or if he/she has you stop that too. Please keep me posted :D

Thanks again :)

Jessica

Hey Jessi & Lyn, Thx for the comment. Im actually doing great, feel like myself again. My heart rate is back to normal and everything seems to be working fine. I had mine closed at the Cleveland clinic with an amplatzer device. It was a very great experience all together. I intend to start working out today so we will see how that goes, left for my Doctor he believes I can begin my regular routine but I’m going to take it slow. I’m glad you guys are doing okay. Do keep in touch

Lmoisie, great to hear!! keep it up and also, pls do keep in touch! :D

Imoisie said:

Hey Jessi & Lyn, Thx for the comment. Im actually doing great, feel like myself again. My heart rate is back to normal and everything seems to be working fine. I had mine closed at the Cleveland clinic with an amplatzer device. It was a very great experience all together. I intend to start working out today so we will see how that goes, left for my Doctor he believes I can begin my regular routine but I'm going to take it slow. I'm glad you guys are doing okay. Do keep in touch

Glad that you are feeling great. I just found that the plavix and baby aspirin daily caused me to bruise so easily. Only 2 more weeks left - yeah!! I had mine done in Ottawa at the Heart Institute 6 months ago. All went well and I am so glad that it is done. It is amazing.

Take care. Good luck with everything as you recover. Keep in touch.

Lyn

Jessi said:

Lyn, thanks for sharing! I agree with you on the resting part. I remember I was told I could get back to my normal life in one week. I rested for 2 weeks straight and it took me almost a month to have my full energy again. So resting is important I believe :)

Does this mean you have your 6 month appointment coming up? I bet you are looking forward to stop taking Plavix. Have you bruised much?

I am curious to hear if your cardiologist recommends you take aspirin for life, or if he/she has you stop that too. Please keep me posted :D

Jessica

Lyn said:

Jessi said:

Jessica

Lyn said:

Lyn said:

Jessi,

I also took 1 month to get full energy. I am not sure why they say a few days and you will be fine. I really had to rest and my leg was pretty sore.

Yes, I go to my 6 month in a couple of weeks. I had sooooo much bruising! Two really bad bruises that took a long time to go away. I think that my cardiologist will probably let me decide about the aspirin for life which I am going to do.
What about you?
Jessi said:

Jessica

Hi

My resting heart rate dropped at least 10bpm. My blood pressure is down as well. I was kinda of surprised by this. Not sure if it was all in my head but I feel tired but more relaxed if that makes any sense. The closure was done with a Gore Helex device transcath approach 1 week ago today. Is tired normal and for how long? One cardiologist told me that odds of having a PFO is 20 to 25%. I understand there is a difference between a PFO and an ASD. What are the odds of having an ASD?

Bryan

Hi Bryan!

Welcome! So glad it went well :). I had low blood pressure and heart rate and I've read of a few people experiencing the same. Oh, and I also experienced palpitations. They went away eventually :) I was tired for a while. I started having more energy about 1 week later but didn't feel like my old self until about 3 weeks later. You are correct, PFO and ASD are different.

Per epocrates, a medical resource I use "ASDs occur in 1 of 1500 live births. Secundum-type ASDs constitute 6% to 10% of congenital heart defects and have a 2:1 female-to-male predominance. Secundum defects account for 75% of ASDs. The other types of ASDs occur far less frequently: ostium primum (15% of ASDs), sinus venosus (5% of ASDs), and unroofed coronary sinus defects (1% of ASDs)."

PFO's are more common, 10% to 15% with some studies showing 27%. Incidence declines with age, suggesting that it can close even in adulthood. :)

Best of luck!! hope your recovery keeps going well and let us know if you have any questions :)

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement Jessi ! Did you have any migraines after the procedure and or before?

Bryan

Jessi said:

Hi Bryan!

Welcome! So glad it went well :). I had low blood pressure and heart rate and I've read of a few people experiencing the same. Oh, and I also experienced palpitations. They went away eventually :) I was tired for a while. I started having more energy about 1 week later but didn't feel like my old self until about 3 weeks later. You are correct, PFO and ASD are different.

Per epocrates, a medical resource I use "ASDs occur in 1 of 1500 live births. Secundum-type ASDs constitute 6% to 10% of congenital heart defects and have a 2:1 female-to-male predominance. Secundum defects account for 75% of ASDs. The other types of ASDs occur far less frequently: ostium primum (15% of ASDs), sinus venosus (5% of ASDs), and unroofed coronary sinus defects (1% of ASDs)."

PFO's are more common, 10% to 15% with some studies showing 27%. Incidence declines with age, suggesting that it can close even in adulthood. :)

Best of luck!! hope your recovery keeps going well and let us know if you have any questions :)

Hey Bryan,

I've had a couple of migraines in my life. After the procedure, I have had maybe 2 mild headaches? once I had a visual aura but it wasn't followed by the migraine. Strange.

It will all hopefully go away as well :D

Where did you have your procedure closed?

Take care,

Jessica

Had it closed at the hospital I work at, Bozeman Deaconess in Bozeman MT. One of only two cardiologists in the state that does them. Where was your closure done? In December right?

Bryan

Jessi said:

Hey Bryan,

I've had a couple of migraines in my life. After the procedure, I have had maybe 2 mild headaches? once I had a visual aura but it wasn't followed by the migraine. Strange.

It will all hopefully go away as well :D

Where did you have your procedure closed?

Take care,

Jessica

Yes, mine was December 20th, 2011 :) I had it closed at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA.

Keep us posted! :)