Migraines with aura post ASD closure

I had an ASD closure 1 week ago. Two days after I had the worst migraine I have ever had experienced. I only get a couple a year. Numbness and tingling in both hands, headache and aura. I read that it is common but don't understand the reason for it. Has anyone had similar experiences or know what would cause this?

Natasha,

Wow! That is incredible. Great to hear you are doing so well. I've had 4 migraines in the 2 weeks since the closure. Nothing as bad as yours and am very thankful. For the past 10 years I've gotten about 4 per year. This was a surprise to me after getting 4 in such a short time. I got the same answer from my cardiologist. They are not sure what the link between migraines and their intesity shortly after closure are.

If anyone knows of studies or the science to this, please post it.

Hey Bryan! How are your migraines now??

I had my cath closure last week and I have had 4 aura migraines in 48 hours! Its hell!!

I haven't been on this site for awhile.....so no migraines in 2 years!!!

laurull said:

Hey Bryan! How are your migraines now??

I had my cath closure last week and I have had 4 aura migraines in 48 hours! Its hell!!

I barely got my ASD closed exaclty one week ago and I’ve had two aura migraines.

Hang in there Lacy. I had worst migraines I’ve ever had 1 to 2 weeks after and haven’t had one since. That was 6 years ago. I’m not saying you won’t have another one ever again but it is common to have them shortly after closure.

Bryan

1 Like

I had OHS for ASD 4 weeks ago and had the same thing happen. The first 3 days after surgery I had horrible, nauseating migraines. Worse than I have had in a long time.
I was told if you are prom to migraines, it is pretty common to get them after this surgery. I also was on oxi the first 2 days, which I had never had before so it may have been a reaction to that as well. When I awoke early on day 3 with yet another migraine coming on, the finally gave me sumatriptan. Headache went away and I haven’t had one since. I’ve been getting some mild tension headaches at night but that’s it, and I’m only taking an occasional Tylenol or ibuprofen.

Hopefully, yours will disappear as well.

Hey Bryan was yours an OHS or a device closure ? Also were you prone to migraines prior to the closure of your ASD ?