Need Advice for 19 month old daughter

Our asymptomatic 19 month old daughter was diagnosed (murmur checkup) by a pediatric cardiologist a couple of days ago based on the ultrasound + EKG the following:

1) Atrial Septal Defect

2) Anomalous (partial) return of right upper pulmonary vein to the superior vena cava

From the conversation that we had with the doctor it is not an immediate threat but will need to be addressed surgically. My assumption is that point two needs to have the vein re-routed and that is why waiting for the cath option is not feasible.

Questions:

1) Has anyone had to take their child through this procedure at such a young age?

2) Does waiting make the chances of a successful surgery higher?

3) Any pediatric cardio surgeons that doe this procedure routinely? Recommendations? We are thinking Texas Children's hospital.

4) How life threatening are these surgeries? Are there stories of children not making it through? The cardio surgeons seem to be confident of the surgery.

5) Long term prognosis? Will this shorten her life expectancy?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Hi Frank

Good day First of all i will try to answer ur questions

1) Has anyone had to take their child through this procedure at such a young age?

yes, Lot of babies are now a days diagnosing with ASD closure even 1 month & 2 month baby

2) Does waiting make the chances of a successful surgery higher?

Get a confirmation form the Doctor once agian on this , because i am not aware of ur Child ASD Size

3) Any pediatric cardio surgeons that doe this procedure routinely? Recommendations? We are thinking Texas Children's hospital.

Now a days without surgery , ASD Closure are happening . Please Check for latest updations in market

4) How life threatening are these surgeries? Are there stories of children not making it through? The cardio surgeons seem to be confident of the surgery.

First of all this is not a life threatening Surgery ,My suggestion is to go for non - surgurical method .

5) Long term prognosis? Will this shorten her life expectancy?

Nope . untill unless if ur baby shows any symptoms , this will not create any serious problem.

Your daughter case seems to be no worries , please give her Full Fat foods like Ghee & Butter,Egg yolk.. (With Doctor advise) . By giving fatty Foods will help to close the pin hole of heart ASAP .please Try it and if u require any assistance in ASD closure you can ask me

thanks

regards,

Bala

My daughter was diagnosed at 15 months and had her ASD closed at age 3 by Dr. Rao - he mainly works out of Children's Memorial in Houston (we checked out Texas Children's as well). He and his team were AMAZING, and our hospital experience was FANTASTIC (I guess as good as it can be when you're having to watch your child go through this!). Best of luck in the future.