Erosion from Amplatzer device?

Hi!

I have posted on this page earlier, but now I’m starting a new topic since I have a question I hope someone of you can answer.
I will have my hole closed via catheter closure, using the Amplatzer device. I was wondering about your experience with the device, did you immediately feel better afterwards? Any complications?

My doctors hasn’t told me anything about erosion from the device, but I’ve read it up online and now I am super scared of that to happen…is that even a risk? I’m so scared and I hope someone can calm my nerves

Best wishes!

I had that same surgery, 5 years ago. Believe it or not it was a piece of cake and not one single scar! you’ll be fine. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answer! :slight_smile: from what I’ve heard it’s a rather safe procedure. How did you feel before your closure vs after closure? @aliciat

I honestly didn’t know I had any issues with my heart.
Then one day, out of the blue, while at work, I suffered a TIA (“mini-stroke”)… fast forward two months later, I’m having surgery to patch up a hole in my heart (that may have contributed to a clot that had traveled to my brain causing a TIA).

No symptoms prior. I did always suck at anything cardio related but otherwise I was in shape and never smoked. I was also 36.

Surgery went well… I was freaked out in the beginning knowing I wouldn’t be fully “knocked out” but I was so doped up, it was all good. lol

…and I still suck at cardio. lol

I didn’t know either until recently, thought I was perfectly healthy. Then I started noticing I was out of breath even when resting, heart palpalations and funny beats and also started to feel a lot more dizzy and also chest pain from time to time. That’s why I went to the doctors, he heard a murmur on my heart, sent me to a ECO and they found it. I’m kind of frustrated I had to start experiencing such bad health and symtoms before they found it, if they would have caught in when I was a little girl it would be repaired by now and no problems…:frowning:

To add, I’m only 20 years old, and I can’t really wrap my head around why I have so severe symtoms and a lot of ASD patients doesn’t start having symtoms until they are over 40 years of age.

I will have my closure this February, hope for a great outcome and improvement in my symtoms and life quality :slight_smile: spoke to my cardiologist and he told me the risk of erosion is less than 1%

@aliciat

Hi, how are you doing after the procedure? All ok?