OHS in October and palpitations beginning again

OK, I am trying not to get freaked out. I had successful OHS for ASD in October, 2014. For the first 4 months I felt no palpitations, no irregular beats, etc. While recovery has been life-changingly difficult, I have incessantly thanked my surgeon for fixing my heart. No palpitations, no more crazy heart beats, no heart thumping out of my chest for no reason.

Until a few weeks ago. That's when I started feeling the irregular beats and occasional thumps again. Not nearly as many as before surgery. But, more so than the first 4 months after surgery.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this? I haven't mentioned it to anyone yet. I am feeling pretty anxious about it, but not sure if it is warranted.

Thanks for your replies.

Geri

Had my OHS to repair ASD and tricuspid regurgitation in Sept 2014 and like you I did not experience palpitations for 4 months. I have started to feel some irregularities again but not nearly as bad as before. Thinking maybe being back at work and feeling the stress of working longer hours again may be contributing. Also must admit to having occasional caffeinated coffee. My rt heart enlargement is improving but fluid retention still requires 60-80 mg of lasix. Certainly doing better since repair but recovery is coming along slowly. Lots of folks have benign PVCs unrelated to ASD and are nothing to worry about. Thinking that mine are not a big deal. My cardiac PA didn’t seem at all concerned. Of course you should make your MD aware. Good Luck with your recovery.

Hi,

I have had palpitations and PVCs since immediately after my closure 18 months ago. Some days they are pretty mild but sometimes they can be quite strong and scary. I have a Rx for Toprol and and when I have having an extreme episode I try taking Toprol for a few days. I definitely have less PVCs when I take it, but it lowers my blood pressure and makes me very sluggish.

My Cardiologists know about the PVCs but they are not very concerned about them. They sure scare the heck out of me though!

Two other things that help the PVCs are staying super hydrated and avoiding caffeine. (I am a caffeine addict so this is so hard). When I have a bad week of PVCs I try to switch to decaf.

Good luck!

Jennifer

Hi Geri,
Didn’t have open heart surgery(OHS) but new symptoms need to be addressed by your cardiologist. Hopefully you have a good relationship. I had an ASD closure via Amplatzer Septal Occluder in 10/31/13. I am older and had lots of problems pre repair from childhood. If you haven’t already been told please notify your cardiologist and make a follow up appt. There can be many factors that play a part in post op symptoms but telling the doctor is important.
Take care, Linda

Linda,

Thanks so much for responding. I will check with the cardiac surgeon tomorrow (I work in the surgery area and see him most days).

Geri

Sallie said:

Linda,
Had my OHS to repair ASD and tricuspid regurgitation in Sept 2014 and like you I did not experience palpitations for 4 months. I have started to feel some irregularities again but not nearly as bad as before. Thinking maybe being back at work and feeling the stress of working longer hours again may be contributing. Also must admit to having occasional caffeinated coffee. My rt heart enlargement is improving but fluid retention still requires 60-80 mg of lasix. Certainly doing better since repair but recovery is coming along slowly. Lots of folks have benign PVCs unrelated to ASD and are nothing to worry about. Thinking that mine are not a big deal. My cardiac PA didn't seem at all concerned. Of course you should make your MD aware. Good Luck with your recovery.

Sallie,

I don't remember ever hearing anything about avoiding caffeine. I drink a Diet Coke each day without fail=) No coffee, though. I'll ask about that. It's interesting that the medical professionals are not worried at all about something that makes us so nervous. Methinks it's because they have never had symptoms and then been told they need OHS. That being said, I do love it when it's "nothing to worry about."

Geri

Sallie said:

Had my OHS to repair ASD and tricuspid regurgitation in Sept 2014 and like you I did not experience palpitations for 4 months. I have started to feel some irregularities again but not nearly as bad as before. Thinking maybe being back at work and feeling the stress of working longer hours again may be contributing. Also must admit to having occasional caffeinated coffee. My rt heart enlargement is improving but fluid retention still requires 60-80 mg of lasix. Certainly doing better since repair but recovery is coming along slowly. Lots of folks have benign PVCs unrelated to ASD and are nothing to worry about. Thinking that mine are not a big deal. My cardiac PA didn't seem at all concerned. Of course you should make your MD aware. Good Luck with your recovery.