Playing sports after the ASD closure (umbrella) procedure

Hi

I'm 29, I was diagnosed with with ASD.
I do not think I have symptoms other than some headaches once in a while and it was discovered by accident since I actually went to my cardiologist because my blood pressure is 140

I had a transesophageal echocardiogram and the cardiologist that performed it told me that I need to get the ASD closed (by using the umbrella procedure) to prevent a stroke in the years to come. My heart is already bigger on the right side he said. I am still to talk to my cardilogist, but I am scared to death

I have been playing soccer, ice hockey, practicing some mma and drug free bodybuilding for pretty much every week of my life, and my cardio is definitely above average.

My question is that if anything of this will change after the asd closure procedure assuming it goes well....

Will I still be able to play my sports with the intensity I currently do?

Will I still be able to lift heavy weights at the high intensity I currently do?

I am really scare to change my way of life. I can't imagine spending a week with no physical activity let a lone a life time.

Please let me know

Thanks!!

Hey John!

Your doctor will need to give you 100% clarification, but I'd say you can do anything you want 1 month after closure. You have to be careful in the 1st month to make sure you don't get hit in the chest.

I had the umbrella procedure in July!

Hello John,

My name is Osvaldo. I was diagnosed with an ASD three years ago (28 at the time). I was scared to death as well and similar to you I had all my life been very physically active. The reason I found out I had an ASD was because I tore my meniscus playing soccer and when I tried to have surgery for my knee the doctor said I needed to have my heart check.

Any way, long story short. I was in very good shape and had never had any heart or health problems. They told me my right side of the heart was bigger than the left one and that I needed surgery. It has now been almost three years and now I live even a healthier life style. I still get my migraine headaches but as far as my physical activity goes i still play soccer twice a week, i average about 15 miles of running per week and i am lifting more than ever before.

I know this is something scary, but my recommendation to you is to get informed and get your ASD closure. There is nothing to be afraid of. There is no pain and after a few weeks you will resume your daily life activities.

Thanks and good luck to you.

I am a professional dancer and now mother of three. My ASD was discovered after hubby and I were trying for #3 and I kept having miscarriages. I thought it was especially odd because I have always been so healthy, athletic, and in shape and had no problem with either of my pregnancies and births (in fact I had both my girls with a midwife and out of the hospital - the second in a birthing pool in my living room). All that said, when my fenestrated ASD was discovered on my echo (first echo ever done in life) on Sept 25th in 2012 and I was told it needed to be repaired right away, I thought that my career as a professional dancer was not only over but the opportunity for hubby and I to have our #3. I had my heart repaired in early Nov and had my first dance performance Feb 23, 2013... then hubby and I became preggers in April of that same year and I am sitting here with our beautiful baby boy who is just 9 weeks on - born Dec 29, 2013. AND I danced and taught throughout my pregnancy :). Everyone is different but if you were healthy and athletic to begin with, I think that goes hand in hand with recovery and what you are able to do thereafter. I think you can do what you did before but you must heal first. Because I was so physically fit, my heart was strong - despite the holes and all and I was able to return to my lifestyle. My right foot never got swollen in this last pregnancy and I have no more migraines. I have probably had 2-3 mild headaches since my heart was repaired... thats nearly two years! I do think however one should definitely take the time to recover. Its like with any injury when you are an athlete or whatever, you want to step back and let it heal so that you can make a full recovery and come back even stronger :) (sorry for any typos... baby is on my lap as I type... by the way, my ASD was discovered at age 31 and I am 32 now) The repair is all worth it ... because I know I am even healthier now :) Don't be afraid... the wonderful part of all of this is that is was discovered and you will get this fixed.

What a wonderfully inspiring story, Hisdancer! As your powers of logic will tell you, my children are both dancers. My son had a facial avm, which is how I came to Ben's Friends. He too beat the odds and is continuing to live his dream. In fact, he just won the senior gold medal at a ballet competition in Panama, and at the end of the month he travels to Berlin for scholarship classes at the State Ballet School. Okay, enough of a digression... but thanks for posting!

Hi John,

I had open heart surgery, at 35, in September 2012 to close my ASD & 8 months later I was playing netball & started Crossfit. At times with Crossfit when I do push ups & exercises that require chest muscles, I find that my chest still gets a little sore, but apart from that I have never looked back!

Good luck with it all :)

That 's a lot of happy stories above. But I have to tell you my situation. I had umbrella surgery 2 years before, before the surgery, I was an active person who did lots of sports almost everyday. and after I had my surgery done, I suffer from migraine everytime when I am exercising, this may due to the fact the the increase in heart rate will trigger migraine. I am 2 years post -op and now the situation remains the same. I recommend you to search some article and consult your doctor for more advice. Good Luck to you

What kind of procedure did you have, OHS or device?
Hisdancer said:

I am a professional dancer and now mother of three. My ASD was discovered after hubby and I were trying for #3 and I kept having miscarriages. I thought it was especially odd because I have always been so healthy, athletic, and in shape and had no problem with either of my pregnancies and births (in fact I had both my girls with a midwife and out of the hospital - the second in a birthing pool in my living room). All that said, when my fenestrated ASD was discovered on my echo (first echo ever done in life) on Sept 25th in 2012 and I was told it needed to be repaired right away, I thought that my career as a professional dancer was not only over but the opportunity for hubby and I to have our #3. I had my heart repaired in early Nov and had my first dance performance Feb 23, 2013... then hubby and I became preggers in April of that same year and I am sitting here with our beautiful baby boy who is just 9 weeks on - born Dec 29, 2013. AND I danced and taught throughout my pregnancy :). Everyone is different but if you were healthy and athletic to begin with, I think that goes hand in hand with recovery and what you are able to do thereafter. I think you can do what you did before but you must heal first. Because I was so physically fit, my heart was strong - despite the holes and all and I was able to return to my lifestyle. My right foot never got swollen in this last pregnancy and I have no more migraines. I have probably had 2-3 mild headaches since my heart was repaired... thats nearly two years! I do think however one should definitely take the time to recover. Its like with any injury when you are an athlete or whatever, you want to step back and let it heal so that you can make a full recovery and come back even stronger :) (sorry for any typos... baby is on my lap as I type... by the way, my ASD was discovered at age 31 and I am 32 now) The repair is all worth it ... because I know I am even healthier now :) Don't be afraid... the wonderful part of all of this is that is was discovered and you will get this fixed.