Weight gain following closure

I had my ASD repaired robotically in September 2014. I’ve been back to my healthy eating and regular exercise for a couple of months now, but have gained 8 pounds since surgery. I weigh more now than I ever have (other than during pregnancies). I feel constipated all the time, and just can’t lose this weight regardless of how few calories I eat or how many calories I burn. I am 42, 5’4 and weighed 112 prior to surgery. I’d been within 3 lbs of that weight for the past 10 years, so this extra weight really has me unhappy and concerned. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Marla, everything is relative. I am your height, and if I weighed 120, I would be jumping for joy. (Either that or I would be seriously ill.) It could be that aging has just kicked in and your natural weight has risen a bit. It happens.

Hello!

Nearly everyone I have spoken to who has had their ASD closed has put weight on. I have put on 7 pounds since mine 18 months ago. I would rather have a few more pounds than a hole in my heart though!

why the weightgain. that's all I need

laurull said:

Hello!

Nearly everyone I have spoken to who has had their ASD closed has put weight on. I have put on 7 pounds since mine 18 months ago. I would rather have a few more pounds than a hole in my heart though!

anabel said:

why the weightgain

laurull said:

Hello!

Yes. Medically why does a repaired ASD cause weight gain? Also, why the constipation and slow digestion? I’m not on any meds, my diet is the same, I am exercising the same as before. My thyroid levels are normal, but if there isn’t a correlation between the heart repair and the digestive issues/weight gain, I am concerned that the surgery and dyes during tests may have impacted my thyroid function. I plan on calling my surgeon’s office this week to ask for advice.

I am not trying to concern you at all. I am so glad you are feeling well. You are not experiencing any water retention at all are you? Swollen ankles anything like that? My weight has been up and down ever since my surgery. In fact, it seems to differ like monthly a pant size or two. I think it is smart to tell your heart doctor about the weight gain. At one point, they had me try some diaretics for a while. If something doesn't feel right to you it is always best to be your own advocate... no one knows your body better than you!!! OR, ever will. Trust your gut! I bet it is just that your body is feeling well and it's probably the weight you always were intended to be. You will be fine!! Take care!

1 Like

Marla, look at the post I posted last night. Heart Healthy, this could help reset you system? At the very least get your body even stronger and healthier. :slight_smile: