ASD closure

My 4yr old will be having her 1st heart procedure to close her asd & an extra vein. It will be done in the cath lab so I feel a little better about it. However I’m still emotional because this will be her 10th overall surgery & I’m always nervous. Can anyone here share your experience with this procedure? Or have a toddler who’s gone through it? Thank you.

Sorry I can not help you with a child having a closure. I had a Gore Helex. How is your daughter's ASD being closed?

There is nothing to worry about. I had the ASD closed by the amplazter via catheter myself. I was a lot older, I was 26 at the time, but its a very simple procedure and it went quickly. I was awake the whole time, the doctor even joked with me when he was doing it. I'm pretty sure you have the option of being out during the procedure.

Really though, you have nothing to be concerned over, she will be completely fine :) I was up and walking out of the hospital myself the very next day.

Thanks to both of you. I believe they are using the amplatzer device. I know there are a few different ones. She will be sedated because she is so young.
Dan-I’m glad to hear yours went well, that’s comforting

I think the hardest thing for your daughter will be having to lay still for so long. The procedure itself is painless and very safe. I was nervous and scared when I had my procedure last October, but all came out fine.

You’re a mom and she’s so small, you should be worried, but they’re doing this in the safest, least invasive way possible. And it’s painless. At 4 years old she will heal quickly.

Rest easy ma’am, she will do well. Did I mention it’s painless? Really she’ll be great!

Actually being out for the procedure is not an option.

FiremanDan said:

There is nothing to worry about. I had the ASD closed by the amplazter via catheter myself. I was a lot older, I was 26 at the time, but its a very simple procedure and it went quickly. I was awake the whole time, the doctor even joked with me when he was doing it. I'm pretty sure you have the option of being out during the procedure.

Really though, you have nothing to be concerned over, she will be completely fine :) I was up and walking out of the hospital myself the very next day.

We were told she would be sedated for it.

I don’t see how they could do this on a child without sedation. I just looked over her registration paperwork & there’s a sheet labeled :preparations for sedation. So it could be a different device, bc it does not say what type. But it is a cardiac catheterization procedure.

I had ASD surgery 2 years ago, and what they gave me was like what you would get if you were having a minor procedure in a local room. They told me I could not be completely out for a heart procedure. It should be like a light cocktail and I don't drink but that's how I would describe it. There's a little discomfort but I felt no pain. She will be just fine, you'll see, you'll both be smiling after it's over.

I was awake, the procedure did not hurt. There is no moving after for a while, My back and legs hurt then. I am not sure how that is handled with a chilld Have you called the hospital and asked a nurse? I feel like they will talk to you and explain everything that happens. I hate to say this but I was wondering what kind of device because I have read of some problems popping up later with the amplatzer.

Lets us know how it works out.