ASD secondum type

getting scared reading everyone's recovery. have no symtoms but going 4 the ampler device. dr said 2 week recovery

Hello Anabel! Don't be scared :) I had the same ASD as you and had it closed by device closure in July 2013. It really was not that bad and I was fine after one week. I made some videos about my ASD diagnosis, closure, advice to people with ASD's, a 10 week update and I am also going to make a 6 month update. If you want to watch them http://www.youtube.com/user/laurull1 hopefully they will help you!

Thank u did u have symptoms I don't

no i didn't have any visible symptoms. my heart was significantly enlarged though

u had weight gain , was your's the secondum type

yes I had secundum

laurull said:

yes I had secundum

did u get my reply

would I be able 2 call u

where are u from

England. You won't be able to call me, but if you have any questions are can ask me them on here

did a pediatric cardiologist do yours? did u have the ampler umbrella device placed? are u on Plavix and aspirin? were u in pain afterwords. I'm calling next week to schedule ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1) No I saw an adult congenital heart disease cardiologist. 2) Yes I had the umbrella amplatzer fitted. 3) I am on aspirin. 4) I wasn't in any pain afterwards, but my throat was very sore from the camera going down (the TEE)

I had the TEE last year was a piece of cake 4 me. my whole is 1.7x1.3 whatever that means,I m afraid, Dr said if doesn't work need open heart surgery

Don't worry they say that to everyone. They said it me. The doctors have to cover themselves in case the device closure doesn't work. My hole was 2cm and the catheter worked fine :)

thank u 4 all your help. I'm forced 2 do it due 2 my health ins ending. I have 2 pay 5 grand out of pocket. I'm dealing with being unemployed and grieving the loss of my mom and I am a smoker. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hi Anabel

I too had the asd secondum type. Mine was 2.5 cm, I had no symptoms, but my right ventricle was slightly enlarged. It sounds like you and I are alike in that reading about other people's recoveries made me very nervous too. Well I had mine closed via catheter with the amplatzer device on Jan 23, 2013, so I am almost at my one year anniversary and everything is going very well for me. My procedure went very smoothly and I had about a one week recovery. I was on plavix and aspirin for 6 months and now just aspirin. I am really glad I had the procedure. I know you have a lot on your plate, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Having this procedure is scary I know, but I think it will be so beneficial for you. I will be praying for you.

jessi said:

Hi Anabel

I too had the asd secondum type. Mine was 2.5 cm, I had no symptoms, but my right ventricle was slightly enlarged. It sounds like you and I are alike in that reading about other people's recoveries made me very nervous too. Well I had mine closed via catheter with the amplatzer device on Jan 23, 2013, so I am almost at my one year anniversary and everything is going very well for me. My procedure went very smoothly and I had about a one week recovery. I was on plavix and aspirin for 6 months and now just aspirin. I am really glad I had the procedure. I know you have a lot on your plate, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Having this procedure is scary I know, but I think it will be so beneficial for you. I will be praying for you.

Hi Anabel

I too had the asd secondum type. Mine was 2.5 cm, I had no symptoms, but my right ventricle was slightly enlarged. It sounds like you and I are alike in that reading about other people's recoveries made me very nervous too. Well I had mine closed via catheter with the amplatzer device on Jan 23, 2013, so I am almost at my one year anniversary and everything is going very well for me. My procedure went very smoothly and I had about a one week recovery. I was on plavix and aspirin for 6 months and now just aspirin. I am really glad I had the procedure. I know you have a lot on your plate, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Having this procedure is scary I know, but I think it will be so beneficial for you. I will be praying for you. w

hi anabel,

don't be scared. me too had an asd hole with 3.2cm without any symptoms. then went to see paeds cardiologist and went through cathether with amplatzer device. its been 2 years now and healthy with pregnancy and active lifestyle. I am a dietitian and works in a hospital. several weeks after surgery (cathetherization), I have shortness of breath and have to run to the emergency unit to monitor and get oxygen. doctor said it can happen when you panicked too.. I don't know. so I hope you manage your anxiety well and relax and just follow the flow to correct the asd. wish you all the best then.

from Malaysia, Anne.