Asd

I am going 12/11 to get my ASD closed with amplatzer device. I am symptomless . I hope getting this done does not pen a can of worms. I am afraid

Anton said:

Hi Anabel

I cannot offer you complete reassurance. It is absolutely understandable that you are afraid and it is true that "cans of worms" can be opened by the surgery itself, the radiation exposure, and, if chosen, the general anaesthesia. BUT, if the hole is of any significant size you cannot expect to remain symptomless unless you opt for closure. AND, I imagine that most members of this forum would have been deliriously happy had their ASDs been discovered when they were still symptomless. I hazard a guess that the symptomless would have the best prospects of a quick and event-free recovery,

Some people with small ASDs/PFOs never know that they have them; they can die in advanced age of other causes before these cardiac defects are ever detected. The fact that yours has been detected when you are still symptom-free and that you have been scheduled for placement of an amplatzer occluder suggests to me that your defect is of significant size and that your surgeons are anxious to avoid pulmonary hypertension, atrial fibrillation/flutter and other typical outcomes.

The choice between the placement of an amplatzer device, with its acknowledged risks, and progressive pulmonary hypertension, with all its wretched effects, is in my opinion no choice at all. Fears of the procedure and of what might lie beyond it could not equate to the fear of advanced pulmonary hypertension.

My hope is that you are going to sidestep every can of worms and be very grateful hereafter that your ASD has been discovered when it has been.

In the post-op period may your fear quickly evaporate in an onrush of pure relief and gratitude.

Anton

Hi Anabel,

I am one of those people who had a mom with a whole in her heart. She had hers fixed in her thirties and lived a long healthy life doing anything she wanted and never EVER complained of anything heart related. Hers was fixed through open heart surgery the amplatzer has only been used on adults for under ten years I think. I am writing to you to assure you that you are making a good decision for yourself. Get the hole fixed BEFORE you know you really need it. In other words, before you are symptomatic. I had no idea my heart defect was genetic and now know my sister has one as well. I found out when I had major symptoms at 44 years old and would have loved a dr. to catch it earlier. You will do absolutely fine with the procedure. I have had TONS of other medical procedures, surgeries etc. and thie closure with amplatzer is a cake walk in comparison. You will do just fine and like so many others on this thread I will pray that you will be back on to yourself in just a few days and maybe running marathons like a few others who've written in. As for me, I never even did that in the first place and hated track! We're ALL pulling for you. You will be in my prayers.

thank u i'm scared

I hope your right

Stace said:

Anton said:

Hi Anabel

I cannot offer you complete reassurance. It is absolutely understandable that you are afraid and it is true that "cans of worms" can be opened by the surgery itself, the radiation exposure, and, if chosen, the general anaesthesia. BUT, if the hole is of any significant size you cannot expect to remain symptomless unless you opt for closure. AND, I imagine that most members of this forum would have been deliriously happy had their ASDs been discovered when they were still symptomless. I hazard a guess that the symptomless would have the best prospects of a quick and event-free recovery,

Some people with small ASDs/PFOs never know that they have them; they can die in advanced age of other causes before these cardiac defects are ever detected. The fact that yours has been detected when you are still symptom-free and that you have been scheduled for placement of an amplatzer occluder suggests to me that your defect is of significant size and that your surgeons are anxious to avoid pulmonary hypertension, atrial fibrillation/flutter and other typical outcomes.

The choice between the placement of an amplatzer device, with its acknowledged risks, and progressive pulmonary hypertension, with all its wretched effects, is in my opinion no choice at all. Fears of the procedure and of what might lie beyond it could not equate to the fear of advanced pulmonary hypertension.

My hope is that you are going to sidestep every can of worms and be very grateful hereafter that your ASD has been discovered when it has been.

In the post-op period may your fear quickly evaporate in an onrush of pure relief and gratitude.

Anton

anabel said:

I hope your right

Stace said:

Anton said:

Hi Anabel

Anton