How often should I see a cardiologist after closure?

I had my ASD closure in March 2014. After my follow-up with my Interventional Cardiologist he said I did not need to return to see him again. Do I need to see a general cardiologist yearly? Not at all? I neglected to ask at my last visit with the Interventional Cardiologist.

My cardiologist told me the same thing after my ASD closure, but I go every 1-2 years for peace of mind.

Hi Janie, all ASD patients should be followed up at least yearly with cardiologist. Preferably congenital cardiologist. Read some of your posts and unless mistaken you are doing well. I had my ASD repaired almost 1 year ago and my interventional cardiologist says plug is doing well with no leaking( last visit in May 2014). I still don’t feel well but always blamed my continuing and new symptoms on my later age at repair. I was symptomatic all my life but unluckily got treatment for each individual diagnosis. And were there many! I did feel great post op at 2-3 weeks and than crashed again. More hospitalizations and ER visits and finally put on Atenolol for orthostatic hypotension. Of course, along with many other drugs. I finally scheduled an appointment with Congenital cardiologist at large hospital center. Getting records together. My heart had become a significant problem by time of repair but always told hole was small and of no issue. So many excuses made for ill health and when TEE finally done pretty sick with rt heart failure and atrial septal aneurysm amoung other things. Took COPD diagnosis with kidney disease to really fight back and very abnormal ABGs showed up with pulmonary stress test. Took me years of arguing with others in medical field to get repaired. I will always say this, only you the patient really knows how you feel. You need follow up even if you feel better. Hope this helps, thanks, Linda

I would suggest seeing one right away to establish a relationship with a cardiologist. Then, if everything is OK perhaps every 6 or 12 months depending on what the doctor says.

Hi Linda, Thanks for the response. I think I was still in a stunned phase when I last saw the Interventional cardiologist because I thought he said I had no need to see a cardiologist again! My husband thinks he meant I didn't need to see him! I will look for a Congenital Cardiologist. Many thanks for your information and support!
Linda Arsenault Pitzo said:

Hi Janie, all ASD patients should be followed up at least yearly with cardiologist. Preferably congenital cardiologist. Read some of your posts and unless mistaken you are doing well. I had my ASD repaired almost 1 year ago and my interventional cardiologist says plug is doing well with no leaking( last visit in May 2014). I still don't feel well but always blamed my continuing and new symptoms on my later age at repair. I was symptomatic all my life but unluckily got treatment for each individual diagnosis. And were there many! I did feel great post op at 2-3 weeks and than crashed again. More hospitalizations and ER visits and finally put on Atenolol for orthostatic hypotension. Of course, along with many other drugs. I finally scheduled an appointment with Congenital cardiologist at large hospital center. Getting records together. My heart had become a significant problem by time of repair but always told hole was small and of no issue. So many excuses made for ill health and when TEE finally done pretty sick with rt heart failure and atrial septal aneurysm amoung other things. Took COPD diagnosis with kidney disease to really fight back and very abnormal ABGs showed up with pulmonary stress test. Took me years of arguing with others in medical field to get repaired. I will always say this, only you the patient really knows how you feel. You need follow up even if you feel better. Hope this helps, thanks, Linda

Thanks Julie! I thought maybe I misunderstood the Dr. I feel like it would be wise to be checked at least every 1-2 years.
Julie DiMatteo said:

My cardiologist told me the same thing after my ASD closure, but I go every 1-2 years for peace of mind.

Anton, I'm 55 now but had my stroke at 54. I did have my follow-up three months post-closure. I definitely do not want more radiation exposure! I had so, so many tests over the past few years until they finally found the ASD. I will book an appointment for follow up in the next year or so with a cardiologist. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Anton said:

Hi Janie

To some extent it will be age-related. Failure of your team to follow up already perhaps indicates your relative youth? Moreover, the interventional cardiologist's telling you that he does not need to see you again is a very strong indication of a successful closure.

The recommendation for late closures is commonly one month afterwards then every six months thereafter. If you are in this category you may want to consider whether you are willing to submit to further x-ray exposure during your future appointments. If it was device closure in March the dosage you were subjected to then is likely to have been very high.

Kind regards

Anton

Thanks Richard. I think this is good advice!

Richard said:

I would suggest seeing one right away to establish a relationship with a cardiologist. Then, if everything is OK perhaps every 6 or 12 months depending on what the doctor says.

Hi Janie,
How are you? How are you feeling? I had my closure via robotic open heart surgery in May 2010. I had a follow up closure with my surgeon in Oct 2010. He ran all of the tests during that visit and gave me full clearance to do anything. I ran a marathon a month later to raise money and awareness for this amazing organization, Ben’s Friends (Bensfriends.org). I have run a few more races since then. I have to admit for about a year or so post surgery I monitored my heart rate via my polar heart rate watch (at work, in the gym, while lying down, pretty much all the time). I know this sounds nuts but it gave me a piece of mind. For what it is worth, this weekend I am learning to dive (with doctor clearance).

Hope this moderately helps.

I just had my closure this past April and I saw my Interventional Dr. a month later and now I will be seeing him at the 6 month mark. I also saw my "regular" cardiologist for a follow up. Seeing the other remarks, it could be age related, I'm 60 and the hole was fairly large. I also see a lot of comments re: x-rays. Both of my Dr.s do sonograms, no x-rays.

Thanks for all the very good advice. Much appreciated! I'm quite inspired by all of you!

I had my Open Heart Surgery to close my ASD 2 years ago at 35. I saw my Surgeon for a follow up at 3 weeks who said the operation went well. I also saw my Cardiologist at this time & he said because my surgery went well & I was recovering well, he only wanted to see me if I was having any problems.

Hi Janie:

I had my closure a year ago on Sept 7. I had a 6 week follow up with my interventional cardiologist, then another one at 6 months. He said everything looked good and I didn't need to see him for two years. I asked about seseing a general cardiologist and he said only if I had other heart problems and didn't feel well.