Poll: how long has it been since you had your asd closed with an amplatzer?

Hi! For some reason, my anxiety came back from knowing that I have a foreign body in my heart. I have been worried about the long-term effect of having the Amplatzer septal occlude and I was wondering how many of the people here have had it done and when was it done. Just for my knowledge.. and peace of mind, I guess. Im pretty scared :(

My son had his out in 12 years ago, mine was 7 and.we are fine.

I had my Amplatzer inserted 3 years ago at the age of 65. Don’t know if anyone else as old as this has had this done. Still have palpitations and ectopic a.

Hi copper

Since you had asd closure three years ago. How did you feel your life change

Copper on said:

I had my Amplatzer inserted 3 years ago at the age of 65. Don’t know if anyone else as old as this has had this done. Still have palpitations and ectopic a.

It's been 10 years since I had mine done. Felt disoriented a while after the surgery (did not feel well enough to exercise for a long while afterward) and occasionally have heart palpitations, but I have been regularly visiting the cardiologist and he tells my heart is fine. I go to exercise classes frequently and never get out of breath, and they are pretty intense. Cardiologist says I should be exercising frequently, since doing this I seem to have less palpitations happening.

I had mine placed in December 2011 and am doing well, thanks God!

I stay pretty active. I like running, P90X or Insanity.

Hi. I am 56 years old. It’s been a year, since I had the amplatezer. Like you, on occasion, I think about it. It concerns be, but I can’t dwell on it. It’s there. The risk are greater,if I want it removed. The positive of having it, is that I feel better. I have faith in God that He will watch over me, and you. Embrace life. I enjoy reading success stories, such as the one Katie G and Jessi shared. Thanks Katie and Jessi.

Hello It's just been since September 2013 that I had mine done. I've been back twice for re-checks with my Cardiologist and he says I'm doing fine.

I feel so much better and can finally walk without being out of breath. And to think my ASD was found when I had a heart cath for pulmonary hypertension, which it turns out I didn't have.

Had my Amplatzer closure on June 9 2014! I am very excited and really now starting to feel the difference of my life now compared to two weeks ago! I used to think about the foreign object too but I then realised that this foreign object is really saving my life… Try not to think about it and focus on your day to day stuff. Everything will be just fine!

1 Like

Hi there, just had my ASD closure with the amplatzar and like you, I freak out every few days thinking about the risks involved. But I guess like Andreas said… this foreign object is saving our lives! Would love to hear how you are doing.

Hi everyone,
I had my Amplatzer 1.8 cm put in 10/31/2013. Never thought about a problem with plug till started reading more after surgery. Really hate my headaches but no more auras. Just wish I could exercise more. Mot fearful of plug, saved my life! It’s strange how we all present so different pre and post repair. Would always recommend repair before getting symptoms or symptoms get worse. Cardiologist says heart healthy! And I’m 58 now! Lots of us get repaired later in life since doctors often don’t look at ASDs. Old school thought was let them be but now it is better to get repaired! My surgery was easy, driving staff crazy with silly song " what does the fox say?" Pre and immediately post op surgery I sang away, not great voice but not tone deaf. Best wishes to all, Linda

Linda Arsenault Pitzo said:
Hi everyone,
I had my Amplatzer 1.8 cm put in 10/31/2013. Never thought about a problem with plug till started reading more after surgery. Really hate my headaches but no more auras. Just wish I could exercise more. Not fearful of plug, saved my life! It's strange how we all present so different pre and post repair. Would always recommend repair before getting symptoms or symptoms get worse. Cardiologist says heart healthy! And I'm 58 now! Lots of us get repaired later in life since doctors often don't look at ASDs. Old school thought was let them be but now it is better to get repaired! My surgery was easy, driving staff crazy with silly song " what does the fox say?" Pre and immediately post op surgery I sang away, not great voice but not tone deaf. Best wishes to all, Linda