Sleeping issues

Hi everyone,

I have just found and joined this site. I had open heart surgery to close my large ASD. The doctors wanted to close by right heart catherization and tried, but my hole was too large. My operation was almost 15 months ago. It has been a very rough year! I continue to have lots of pain and low energy. My quality of life pretty much sucks! I am hopeful this gets better. Do others have trouble sleeping? I often wake up in the middle of the night. I talked with my doctor and now take Ambien control release but it seems to sometimes work. Sighs.

Thanks,

Laura

I had OHS on 4/29/13. I continue to have sleeping issues.I have suffered severe depression and am now on an antidepressant. Some nights I can sleep and others it is impossible. The last year as been unbelievably difficult. I feel your pain. Physically I feel stronger, but not myself yet. Hang in there. I have a therapist that works with people with chronic disease and that has been a huge help. I am hoping things get better for you real soon!

Hi jlgf42 :) my OHS was 12/17/2012 so just a few months before you had your surgery. I am sorry you have had to go through this as well. I totally understand about the severe depression. It is such an isolating thing because we continue to feel bad. I saw a therapist for about a month during the summer last year, but it just wasn't working. I am glad you are seeing someone who works with patients with chronic diseases. I may look for a person with that type of background.

Pain still wakes me up sometimes. It is just unbelievable! I also have Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH) as a result of my ASD. During my surgery the surgeon reduced the size of my heart on the right side as it was enlarged. I had a really difficult time. Thank you for your response. I can feel your pain too. Do you or anyone still have peripheral pain surrounding the entire chest cavity? It is horrible for me. I can still feel where my drains were often. :(

i am waitng for open heart surgery ,at the moment i see my surgeon tomorrow hopeful for a date for the operation ,and as for sleeping i have not slept very well since i was diagnoised you are lucky if i sleep 3 hours a night ,so i hope this operation is for the better grace x

Hi Grace,

I wish you the best with your open heart surgery. I hope things go smoothly for you and your recovery is okay. I can definitely understand your 3 hours of sleep a night. I sleep some better, but have lots of problems. At least I am not alone.

thank you i will see what my cardioligist has say about my sleeping pattern it cannot be good for me i am sure a good couple of night sleep would help ,i think as well my husband works constant nights ,which does not help ,but before all this happened i had no problem being on my own i used to sleep like a log knowing that i had my 2 dogs for company they are germany sheperds by the way ,but this sleeping thing started when i took ill i cut out tea and coffee to see if it would help but it does not ,so when i cannot sleep i turn to asd group for company which helps a lot ,you no what they say a problem shared is a problem halved anyway thank you again i will be in touch lots luv grace