Type of closure device

I met with my surgeon today. The hole in my heart is 8 to 15 mm . The device he will use is called Amplatzer Septal Occluder. Has anyone else had this operation / procedure ?

Hi Julia

It is the same device I had inserted. My hole was oval 13mm by 19mm.

Tina

Hello Julia, A little over a year ago I had my ASD closed with that same device. I do not have the size of my hole handy but I know my MD used the biggest size there is or was at the time. My procedure was a little long but painless. Recovery was quick and I live a normal healthy life. During my post-op visits my MD has done several tests and says my hole is completely closed. Good luck to you!

Osvaldo

Thank you so much for your reply I am stressing out. I guess I have been reading way too much about it. It is great to hear from an actual patient. Thanks again you made me smile :) on a very bad day.

Osvaldo said:

Hello Julia, A little over a year ago I had my ASD closed with that same device. I do not have the size of my hole handy but I know my MD used the biggest size there is or was at the time. My procedure was a little long but painless. Recovery was quick and I live a normal healthy life. During my post-op visits my MD has done several tests and says my hole is completely closed. Good luck to you!

Osvaldo

I just had two holes repaired in May using both the Amplatzer device and the Gore Helex device.

I don't recall the surgeon telling me what size my holes were but they were too far apart from one another to use just one device, hence the two different devices. I am so glad I had mine taken care of, best decision I made.

Good luck.

Kimberlee

Hi Julia!

I had mine repaired last December with the amplatzer as well. I don't remember the exact dimension of mine but remember that it was a weird shape.

I am doing well and just had my 6 month follow up appointment w/echo. Everything looks great! I can stop the Plavix (glad about that!). I feel great and am back to my working out routine.

To calm your nerves, just think that the same device is used in the pediatric population as well. It is safe and has a rate of occlusion of >98% at 1 year :)

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Jessica

Good to hear the great news, thanks ladies ! My symptoms are chest tightness, exhaustion, fatigue. Will these symptoms go away after surgery ? Do you have more energy ?

So much simpler than mine. My hole was much bigger and right up next to the valve. Open-heart surgery was my only option. But I am doing ggrrreeaT! and I am sure you will too Julia :)

Thank you for your encouragement, so glad you are doing ggrrreeat ! :)

Chromedome said:

So much simpler than mine. My hole was much bigger and right up next to the valve. Open-heart surgery was my only option. But I am doing ggrrreeaT! and I am sure you will too Julia :)

I have decide to have my ASD closed surgically using the Da Vinci robot. My surgery is August 23rd. Looking forward to more energy ! A new chapter in my life.

Hi Julia!

To answer to your question, I was not having symptoms before the procedure and I wouldn't say I feel any different now from before. I'll let you know if I can run longer distances but so far haven't noticed anything I don't think. :S

You will do great! I will be thinking of you on that day! Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing afterwards.

I wish you a very speedy recovery :D

Jessica

Hi Julia,

How are you? I understand you are having your closure on Aug 23 via robotic open heart surgery. How are you feeling about it? Where are you having it done? I did extensive research on all of the options and went with robotic via the da vincie device in May 2010. I can walk you through everything I went through leading up to surgery, right before it, the weeks, months and years post closure. I ran a marathon less than six months post closure and continue to feel fabulous.

You are not alone and I am keen to help.

Hi John ! So glad to read your letter. I am ready to chicken out and run for the hills haha. I am terrified about surgery. Thank you for your encouragement ! I am having my surgery at UT Medical Center in Knoxville TN. I hate pain so I am worried about the pain afterwards. I'm such a baby. You encourage me to stay positive. What did you feel like immediately upon waking up after surgery ? I guess it is the fear of the unknown.

John said:

Hi Julia,

How are you? I understand you are having your closure on Aug 23 via robotic open heart surgery. How are you feeling about it? Where are you having it done? I did extensive research on all of the options and went with robotic via the da vincie device in May 2010. I can walk you through everything I went through leading up to surgery, right before it, the weeks, months and years post closure. I ran a marathon less than six months post closure and continue to feel fabulous.

You are not alone and I am keen to help.

Hi Julia,

I understand your fear but you will be fine. Remember they are going through the slits in your ribs which means a much faster recovery, no broken bones and less bleeding.

I still can not believe I had it done in May 2010 - over 2 years ago. Looking at the side of my chest now, you would never know I had surgery. The scars are almost gone. It is amazing.

When you have pain, they will give you some meds to ease it. Listen to your body and your doctors and definitely use me as a resource. They will have you up and walking around pretty quickly. When you stand up for the first few days, do not rush it. Take your time and let your body get adjusted. Remember you will have been through robotic open heart surgery.

Given what they did, I felt reasonably ok right after surgery. I remember being very warm and saying I am too hot because they had blankets on me - guess to keep me warm before the surgery and after it. Plus this was my seventh operation in seven years (the others were not heart related but rather broken femur, broken elbow etc) so I am used to pain. Use the breathing exercise appratus they give you. Use it regularly because it strengthens your lungs and makes sure you don't get fluid in there.

I am sure you will meet your surgeon again the day before your operation (I did) and he answered any remaining questions I had. He made me feel great plus the cardiology team explained everything to my family while I was in the operating room (kept them distracted). The doctors in the OR were asking me if I was doctor/surgeon given how many questions I was asking about the machines in the room (before they knocked me out). I said I just knew too much and should have been a doctor.

Please use me as a resource. Let me know how I can help.

I had my hole repaired one year ago this Wednesday with the amplatzer device. I too, was totally stressed about it. The procedure went well and it was easy. One night stay in hospital and then home to rest for a while. Although the thought of it is stressful, the general anesthetic is so easy, you wake up and it is done! You will be fine - don't worry.

Best of luck.

Julia - Are they going in through the groin? It is so easy that way. Your leg might be a little sore afterwards but you just have to rest for a couple of days. You will probably take Plavix and an aspirin for 6 months following. It is a very simple procedure so just relax. :)

1 Like